Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Beetroot harlot

I made another beetroot cake this evening. Two hours of boiling beetroots makes the house smell alluringly earthy.  They stain everything beautifully too.  Purple seeped onto my fingers and down my wrists.  The colour was so glorious, I smeared it into two lurid smudges of blusher.

After they'd boiled I poured the vivid purple water steaming and sloshing down the drain and suddenly thought, oh, wait no, I could have used that.  I'd like to paint with beetroot one day, when I am more awake.  Here is some info on other pigments you can use: natural dyes

You can find a recipe here, for skulking into the kitchen to do your secretive nighttime baking.
And this is a slice of the disgusting coloured cake, of which I am so proud

No comments:

Post a Comment